Am I a Good Candidate for Clear Aligners?
You want to straighten your smile, but you're not particularly excited about the idea of wearing braces for the next few years. So you're looking into clear aligner therapy in Louisville.
But, you've heard that not everyone can be a good candidate for this type of orthodontic treatment.
Is It true? And if so, how can you determine if clear aligners are right for you?
Who Is a Good Candidate for Clear Aligners?
You can benefit from clear aligner therapy if:
- You are dealing with mild to moderate orthodontic issues. Clear aligners can treat a variety of dental problems, from overbites, underbites, and crossbites to crooked or crowded teeth. But, if the problem is too severe, you may need to undergo traditional orthodontic treatment first.
- You have good overall oral health. However, even people with multiple cavities or gingivitis can eventually benefit from clear aligner therapy if they address and treat their dental issues first.
- You understand what the treatment entails. A lot of people are excited about an orthodontic treatment that is virtually invisible but fail to understand that the aligners must be worn exactly as instructed by their dentist. You need to wear them for 22 hours every day without fail or the treatment won't be effective.
- You are responsible and follow the storage and cleaning instructions to the letter.
Who Isn't a Good Candidate for Clear Aligners
The truth is that not everyone is an ideal candidate for clear aligners.
- If you are dealing with severe dental issues that require more complex treatment, clear aligners may not be the right solution for you right now.
- If you are a smoker, clear aligner therapy may not work for you either. Tobacco use can stain the aligners and increase your risk of developing cavities and gum disease during the treatment.
- If you can't commit to the treatment. As we said, you need to wear the aligners almost the entire day and only take them off for eating and brushing your teeth. Frequently taking them off for smoking or snacking will affect the treatment and not make you a good candidate for this type of orthodontic treatment.
- If you don't have thorough oral hygiene. You will need to clean your teeth (and the aligners) after every meal. You will also have to store your aligners in their protective case every time you take them off.
Are Clear Aligners Right for Me?
The best way to find out is to schedule an appointment with Louisville Orthodontics and come in for an honest conversation with Louisville orthodontist Dr. Chandiramani. She will examine your oral health, explain the treatment course in detail, and help you determine the best type of orthodontic solution for your needs.
If you want to start your orthodontic journey and get a straight and healthy smile, don't hesitate to get in touch with us today.